Thursday, January 14, 2010

Ignorance or Self Indentity?

Ever since i was young, my traditional Guyanese family has always talked down "Black" people. As a result, I have shyed away from refering to myself and other Caribbean/ West Indian people as "Black" people. On applications that ask for race or ethnicity information, I ALWAYS check the "OTHER" box and write Caribbean or Guyanese.


I dont refer to myself as being "African- American" or "Black". why? Because in my mind and the minds of my family members, our roots are in Guyana- NOT Africa.

(*SB* Please dont confuse GUYANA with GHANA... i get offended. its like calling a Japanese Chinese.)
I understand the history of the Diaspora- dont get me wrong... I just dont identify with the whole "African- American" title. In my eyes, I am an American-Guyanese or Caribbean/ West Indian individual.

Do you think this is ignorance on my behalf or am i accepting my own view of my self- identity?

3 comments:

  1. I think you can claim any race you'd like. If your not African American your just not African American...but when sayin someone is black..I think its just a skin color. And I would consider you as a black person ...although you are rom Guyana! It isnt ignorance...just your personal preference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you born in or have you ever been to Guyana? If not, then I don't see how you can not call yourself a black person... Also, you're pretty dark. lol kidding but seriously, you're clearly black.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i understand what youre saying "ANONYMOUS"... Im Black because of my skin. but when speakin to people or like i said- filling out applications, i claim Caribbean or Guyanese.

    To piggy back what Robyn Latice said up there... i dont believe in referring to people's race or ethnicity as a "color" if that makes sense. im a Guyanese American who has a darkskin tone. literally, im dark brown, not black. lol

    *shrug*

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.